The Norwegian Burma Committee (Burmakommiteen) recently released a Norwegian online guide to responsible business in Myanmar. The guide is in Norwegian language and intends to help Norwegian companies understand the complexities of investing in Myanmar.
The guide contains a number of chapters and summarises with a 11-point list of advice to investors:
- Understand the country’s political context and complexities
- Be wary of investments in ethnic states
- Identify and establish dialogue with political actors
- Encourage consultations with affected parties
- Scrutinise land ownership documents thoroughly when acquiring land
- Respect fundamental labour rights
- Maintain rights of women and disadvantaged groups
- Make thorough background checks of potential local partners
- Create mechanisms for complaint and redress
- Have zero tolerance for corruption
- Pay taxes
The full guide is available by clicking below.